[openstack-dev] Host-update API extension is the replacement for nova-manage service?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 09:49:10 UTC 2012

Hi Andrea, comments inline...

On 08/10/2012 11:50 AM, Rosa, Andrea (HP Cloud Services) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I know that the plan is try to replace the nova-manage command and move actions as API extensions.

Yes, AFAIK, that is definitely the direction.

> The API extension "host-update" is supposed to replace action for enabling/disabling services (nova-manage enable service...), is that correct?

I'm not sure that host-update is the same as enable/disable service. In
fact, I'm pretty sure it is not. The os-hosts API extension seems to be
(currently) a Xen-specific API extension that allows the Xen hypervisor
to take a *compute host* offline or put it in maintenance mode, which is
a Xen-specific thing AFAICT.

Meanwhile, service enable/disable seems to be more generic, referring to
any service daemon -- nova-scheduler, nova-compute, nova-volumes, etc.
For this type of thing, I believe it makes the most sense to marry the
work you have done with the work that Yun Mao and some IBMers are
working on for the generic service healthcheck system:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/10903/

What are your thoughts?

Best,
-jay