[openstack-dev] Process for targetting blueprint for RC1

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Aug 23 16:54:34 UTC 2012

Gurjar, Unmesh wrote:
> I have submitted implementation of
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-common/+spec/http-notification-driver
> blueprint (review request https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11016/) and
> it is currently under review. I intend this implementation to get
> released in RC1.
>
> Can someone please let me know the process to propose it for getting
> added in RC1.

Folsom is currently under Feature Freeze in preparation for final
release in one month. We don't add new features, in order to focus our
core team's energy onto QA and bugfixing.

OpenStack-common master branch is not frozen so you can certainly
propose things there. However Folsom core projects copy from
openstack-common stable/folsom branch, which is also feature-frozen.

So to answer your questions: you can get it into openstack-common using
the standard review process, but it won't get copied into core projects
within the Folsom timeframe, and therefore not appear in RC1 or final
release.

Exceptions to this rule can be granted in exceptional cases, however the
window of opportunity to ask for exceptions is rapidly coming to an end,
and this doesn't look like something that would be so Folsom-critical as
to justify one at this (late) point. The process is to convince the PTL
to accept it, then have the PTL convince the release manager that it's
worth the disruption to QA it will cause.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack