[openstack-dev] [nova] FFE for entrypoints driver loading

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Aug 22 15:20:41 UTC 2012

Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 08/21/2012 10:19 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> On Tue, 2012-08-21 at 09:45 -0600, Monty Taylor wrote:
>>> Hey all!
>>>
>>> I'd like to request a FFE for the following:
>>>
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11027/

So I looked a bit more deeply into this, and I'm not really convinced.

First, this comes out of nowhere with no blueprints / discussion, with
first patch proposed even after Folsom-3 was pushed. This looks like the
textbook example of what you should not do, diverting resources from
bugfixing to do FFE assessment and reviews with no prior warning. The
process is there for everyone, so I'd feel bad if we granted an
exception to this while we refused exceptions for things that were
proposed with proper blueprint tracking and before FF but which were
just held back by slow reviews.

Second, it looks like the benefit would be nearly the same if this
landed early in Grizzly rather than late in Folsom. Unless I'm mistaken,
this looks like a feature mostly useful for developers, and developers
will soon work on Grizzly anyway. Could someone explain what is the
/user/ benefit of getting this into Folsom rather than early into Grizzly ?

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack