[openstack-dev] [nova] FFE for entrypoints driver loading

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Aug 21 15:45:47 UTC 2012

Hey all!

I'd like to request a FFE for the following:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11027/

The patch adds the ability to register and load virt drivers via
entrypoints. There are a couple of virt drivers that I've been involved
with or that I'm becoming involved with, such as the openvz driver and
the bare-metal work, that aren't going to land this cycle. But there's
no real reason why it needs to be quite so wonky to have a virt driver
out of tree. (patch was driven by trying to figure out ways to have CI
test these things _before_ we had them landed or ever proposed)

The way the patch works is that it registers an entrypoint for virt
drivers and also registers the current in-tree virt drivers with that
entrypoint. Because we have people using the direct class-loading
interface that is currently there, the driver loader falls back to
class-path loading as currently works.

So while it adds a potential code loading path, it does not alter the
behavior of the current system - and I think it should be safe enough to
land, which should give us an easier mechanism moving forward in this
next cycle for testing and vetting new work in the virt driver layer.

Monty