[openstack-dev] [Quantum] public network question

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Mon Aug 20 20:39:59 UTC 2012

Hi Akihiro,

I apologise for the delayed reply on the mailing list.
I have triaged the bug you reported, and submitted a patch for it [1]
Please let me know whether it works for you.

The second problem you raised it is connected to the first one, but also
involves the policy engine.
The rule for retrieving subnets is indeed admin_or_owner, which means that
you will read subnets on a shared network only if you are an administrator
or you own the subnet.
When we designed the default policy configuration for this feature, we did
so by design, as we though that on a shared network the provider wanted to
take control of IP addressing, and let a user pick only what was available
(this is why users cannot specify mac_address, fixed_ips and host_routes on
public networks).

If we have a consensus on allowing users to choose to which subnets
associate their ports on public networks, we need a slight change to
policy.json.
The fix for  bug 1037589 [2] is a prerequisite for this policy change.

Salvatore

[1] https://review.openstack.org/11672
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/quantum/+bug/1037589