[openstack-dev] Bitrot Jenkins jobs

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Mon Aug 20 20:12:38 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've set up some jobs in Jenkins to run the gate tests daily on the
stable branches of the core projects:

  https://jenkins.openstack.org/view/Bitrot/

We recently had a delay merging a change to the stable/diablo branch of
nova because some un-pinned pip dependencies had changed, as had our
testing interface.  These jobs are designed to help us avoid similar
problems in the future.

With Essex, we introduced the standardized Project Testing Interface
<URL:http://wiki.openstack.org/ProjectTestingInterface> which means that
the way tests are invoked should not (greatly) change over time, and
indeed, all of the stable/essex branches on that page are currently
green.

There are a few stable/diablo jobs that are failing due to missing
tox.ini files in those projects.  The CI team will work to fix those so
we'll be ready if changes need to be merged.  The glance unit tests,
however, are failing due to a change in swift, which is the sort of
error we hope to catch with these jobs.

Since we expect these jobs to be successful all the time, I think it
makes sense to have them automatically notify a team when they fail.
The stable branch maintainers seems like a good fit -- does that sound
reasonable, and are there other groups or individuals who would like to
be notified?  We could set up a mailing list on the new list server and
let people sign up.

-Jim