[openstack-dev] [metering] question about pollster counters

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Mon Aug 20 15:06:30 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17 2012, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>
> > Are we actually using the duration value anywhere, yet? I think I've seen
> > it set to None or 0 in all of the other counters, but I could be
> > remembering incorrectly.
>
> I don't think we use it indeed. Now I wonder how useful it can be. We
> basically using timestamp heavily, but duration we don't.
> Maybe it should be set to the time used between 2 polling, but I'm not
> sure it's a good idea either.

I think that was the intent, but the code doing the polling can't be sure
of that time (at least not for the first event).

We have the timestamp of the event, and can calculate durations based on
those values. I'll open a ticket to remove the extra field. We can add it
back later if we decide we need it.

Doug