[openstack-dev] Proposal for a separete OpenStack "openstack-resource-agents" project

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 18:39:46 UTC 2012

On 08/17/2012 01:07 PM, Martin Gerhard Loschwitz wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> after my recent gerrit commits, namely
>
> https://review.openstack.org/9269 and
> https://review.openstack.org/11468
>
> some people stood up and mentioned that it might be a better idea to not
> ship the resource agents for the Pacemaker cluster manager with their
> respective services, but to put them into a separate project.
>
> These people appear to be less concerned by the fact that the agents would
> require a lot of disk space on the target systems (which they don't), but
> by the fact that the number of people within the OpenStack community that
> can actually check changes to these files would be relatively small. They
> argue that a separate project might be a good way to get other people from
> the HA scene to review the agents.
>
> I would like to start a discussion hereby on whether to create a separate
> project for the OpenStack pacemaker resource agents.

+1 for a repo for these.

In addition to the reasons you recapped, it would also ensure that all
of the resource agents stay in sync.  When a fix or improvement is made
to one, it will be easier to ensure that the same fix or improvement is
made to the rest of the agents, if appropriate.

I also like the idea of being able to give review/approval rights to OCF
agent experts that aren't necessarily OpenStack service code experts.

--
Russell Bryant