[openstack-dev] [nova] Meeting notes

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Aug 17 10:03:33 UTC 2012

Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
>   * LINK: http://wiki.openstack.org/FolsomReleaseSchedule  (markmc,
>     22:07:06)
>   * Discuss when to open grizzly at next weeks meeting  (vishy,
>     22:09:31)

A few precisions:

Mark said that the first RC would be on the week of September 6, based
on FolsomReleaseSchedule. Actually, the schedule defines the three weeks
period during which RCs can happen. RC1 is published when the RC1
buglist is empty, not on a date. The idea is RC1 should be
release-quality, so if it takes a few more weeks to come up with
something releasable, then so be it.

Until then, we use the master branch as the Folsom RC branch, so that we
don't have to continually backport. At RC1 point though, we cut a
milestone-proposed branch that will get used for any RC respin until
final release. That's why master switches to Grizzly at that point.

So the question is not really "when to open Grizzly", but rather "when
are you happy enough with Folsom to consider it releasable and publish
RC1". You control that moment with the RC1-targeted buglist contents. If
you chose that moment carefully, you control when you can afford to
dilute attention from Folsom and go through backporting hassles.

For Essex I think we produced too many Nova RCs, in retrospect we should
probably have waited a bit more to produce RC1.

Details at: http://wiki.openstack.org/ReleaseCycle

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack