[openstack-dev] [metering] question about pollster counters

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Aug 17 09:52:58 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17 2012, John Tran wrote:

Hi John,

> * Source - left as '?'

For now, yes.

> * user_id - obtained by looking at the instance's db obj
> * project_id - same as user_id

Yes.

> * resource_id - <unique_id of the vnic?>   ** the vnic xml data
> freturned from libvirt has a filtterref that looks like: <filterref
> filter='nova-instance-instance-00000001-fa163e71ec6d'>

That looks good.

> * resource_metadata -  < for instance db obj or for vnic xml data> ?

For vnic. But you can include anything you want here, so I would include
everything you know about the vnic plus a key named 'instance_id'
pointing to the id of the instance, so if needed it can be linked to the
original instance.

Based on your example that would include the following keys IMHO:
- mac_address
- source_bridge
- target_dev
- alias_name
- ip
- netmask
- network

> * meter_type - 'cumulative'    ** what are the other options ?

You have 'absolute' or 'delta', see counter.py. If the counter is never
reset to 0, you want cumulative, yes.

> * meter_volume - <value of the meter>
> * meter_duration - <time value>

Yep.