[openstack-dev] question about the scheduler filters

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Fri Aug 17 02:22:04 UTC 2012

While merging the recent ComputeFilter additions with the ArchFilter, I
spent too much time agonizing over the name ArchFilter, which I was now
making filter on more than just architecture.  ComputeCapabilitiesFilter
seems like better name, but this is already taken.

Looking at ComputeCapabilitiesFilter again, I realize it is filtering on
some of the same properties as the combined ArchFilter [1], but from a
different source.  IIUC, ComputeCapabilitiesFilter filters on properties
that originate from the instance type/flavor.  The combined ArchFilter
filters on properties that originate from the image.  It seems this
could be a source of confusion for users, but at the same time seems
necessary, particularly for properties such as architecture, preferred
hypervisor and virtual machine mode, which I tend to think are
properties of an image more so than a flavor.  E.g. I could select my
"Xen arm" flavor, but unless I also selected a "Xen arm" image, I could
have an instance that doesn't boot.

Do folks have any issues with filters using both image and flavor
properties?  Being relatively new here, this may very well be intended
:).  If so, I'd like to change the name of ArchFilter to better reflect
its new additions.  What do you think of ImagePropertiesFilter?  It
filters hosts based on compute properties defined on the image.  Or
ImageComputePropertiesFilter, to accommodate a future class of
filterable image properties?

Thanks,
Jim

[1] https://review.openstack.org/11454