[openstack-dev] [Openstack-dev] Copyright headers in source files

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Thu Aug 16 18:34:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 08/16/2012 01:12 PM, John Griffith wrote:
>> Hey Everyone,
>>
>> A while back there was some discussion taking place in the PPB
>> meetings regarding copyright headers.  There was some concern as I
>> recall from lawyers regarding the addition of assigning Copyright to
>> Openstack LLC etc. (don't ask me, I'm not a lawyer).
>>
>> I was wondering if there was ever a solid decision on how we wanted to
>> proceed with header files?  Are we just including the Apache header,
>> both or some other form?  Did I misinterpret the topic that was being
>> discussed?
>
> First of all, IANAL.  :-)
>
> I think many cases of people leaving the following at the top of a new
> file is due to just copying it from another file:
>
>     # Copyright (c) 2011 OpenStack, LLC.
>
> IMO, whenever someone creates a new file, or makes substantial /
> non-trivial changes or additions to a file, your name (or the name of
> your employer, if they own the copyright to your work) should be placed
> at or added to the top of the file.  I usually forget when I'm changing
> existing files, but am going to try to be better about remembering.
>
> --
> Russell Bryant

Cool... good info thanks Monty and Russell.

So I have a specific example now that I can use :)

A contributor noticed that a number of files in the source tree have
*NO* header whatsoever.  So, they did a global search and add of the
copyright Openstack and Apache license on all files that didn't have
it.  Granted most of these are empty __init__ files, and the general
answer from most is probably *who cares*.  Seems like this is the
right way to go, but wanted to make sure.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question to be asking, but I think we
should have some sort of consistent guidance/rule here.

Thanks,
John