[openstack-dev] [Openstack-dev] Copyright headers in source files

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Aug 16 17:29:01 UTC 2012

On 08/16/2012 01:12 PM, John Griffith wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> A while back there was some discussion taking place in the PPB
> meetings regarding copyright headers.  There was some concern as I
> recall from lawyers regarding the addition of assigning Copyright to
> Openstack LLC etc. (don't ask me, I'm not a lawyer).

Yeah. Our CLA does not actually require copyright assignment... however
many people shove Openstack LLC in the header, rather than themselves or
the company they work for. The right policy for when and how to do that
is something that various people who are actually lawyers should
probably do some education for people on.

> I was wondering if there was ever a solid decision on how we wanted to
> proceed with header files?  Are we just including the Apache header,
> both or some other form?  Did I misinterpret the topic that was being
> discussed?

I do not know what decisions may or may not have been made regarding
OpenStack LLC usage in copyright headers. However, files all need the
Apache header, and they need at least one copyright line (the line
asserts who owns the copyright and the header indicates under what
license terms they are granting the content to others) Because we do not
do copyright assignment, you can expect to see, as the project goes on,
a proliferation of different copyright lines, and there will likely be
many files with multiple copyright lines. However, if you are in doubt
as to what copyright line you should or should not add to files you are
hacking on, you should double-check with someone who has more legal
clout than I.

Monty