[openstack-dev] Question on client tags

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Aug 16 10:36:37 UTC 2012

Joshua Harlow wrote:
> We are packaging the *clients here, and we were wondering if there is
> going to be consistency in the versioning of clients or if there isn't a
> plan to do that. From looking at the tags of different clients it seems
> like they started off following the openstack version naming, then
> switched to there own. I was just wondering if there was a reason for
> that (just to allow more rapid development) or whether it was just for
> pypi or something else?? I would just seem nice to have consistent
> versioning everywhere (when possible).

The clients used to be released in sync with the core (server)
counterpart, so they shared the same versioning.

After much discussion [1] (started at the last design summit), it was
finally decided [2] that the clients should be released independently of
the server release schedule and cover all the versions released so
far... So they switched to a specific versioning that reflects that...
They /could/ have stayed with a versioning similar to the server part,
but that would have been very confusing, as the versions would have
diverged (like client 2012.4 would have supported Nova up to 2012.2).

That said, I agree that a bit more consistency in version numbers
couldn't hurt. In the original proposal Monty said the major version
number should represent the API version supported, but I'm not sure all
(any?) PTLs followed that.

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg13307.html
[2] http://wiki.openstack.org/Governance/Accepted/LibraryProjectDefinition

--