[openstack-dev] [Nova] Code question on dict copy in compute/volume api

unicell unicell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 02:51:57 UTC 2012

Hi Folks,

One thing bothers me a lot when reading following code. Could someone
helps me out? Thanks a lot!

In nova/volume/api.py

Why it has to duplicate a dict copy on return? Or, why not directly
return the "rv", it's also a dictionary anyway.

    def get_snapshot(self, context, snapshot_id):
        check_policy(context, 'get_snapshot')
        rv = self.db.snapshot_get(context, snapshot_id)
        return dict(rv.iteritems())

And, why dicrectly return at following case?

    def get_all_snapshots(self, context, search_opts=None):
            ...snip...
            return self.db.snapshot_get_all_by_project(context,
                                                       context.project_id)

I kindof feel it is something related to python scoping rule, but not
quite sure.

Best Regards,
--
unicell