[openstack-dev] FW: Question on hostname generation?

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Sat Aug 11 01:50:27 UTC 2012

> At yahoo, instead of the default hostname that seems to be automatically established (ie 'server-XYZ.novalocal' was in essex) we were wondering if there is anything in folsom that say lets us override that

I hope I'm answering the right question...

You must pass the flag/config option 'host'.  You would 'generate' this by using configuration management.

We do this in OCS. The RPC drivers use a topic.host to talk between services. The ZeroMQ driver splits this and uses the host part as the destination address.  We set each machine's host option to its IP address via configuration management, which reduces the burden on DNS servers and eliminates the latency that would occur from lookups.

Regards,
Eric Windisch
(sent from my iPad)