[openstack-dev] [nova] Call for Help -- OpenStack API XML Support

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 20:33:53 UTC 2012

On 08/10/2012 01:37 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:47 AM, George Reese <george.reese at imaginary.com> wrote:
>
>> Subtitle: Why George Is So Grumpy with the OpenStack Community These Days
>> <snip>
>
> Hey George,
>
> Thank you for your detailed explanation of your motivation and opinions. It saddens me that you feel like you won't be heard unless you start yelling. Personally, I respond much better to a well reasoned argument, and I think most of the people who touch the code on a daily basis feel similarly.

Yes, very much agreed.

> The entire purpose of my original message was to ask for help with OpenStack XML (Note the original title is still there).

Exactly. Those of us who actually read your original post understood
that you were asking for help.

>I admit that my personal preference is to burn it in a fire, I wasn't
involved in deciding to support it in the first place, but I think it is
quite clear from this thread that XML support is important to quite a
few people. I am also convinced that deprecating it in the current
version of the api is not an option.

Agreed on all points.

> I think my initial request still stands. We need help validating and improving XML support in Nova. It sounds like there are private tests being run, which gives me hope that at least the core spec is working. We need to get those tests out into the public, and we need specific bugs logged against XML issues. We have already recieved offers to help from two or three companies involved with openstack. Hopefully the other ones follow suit.

And here's the rub! If enStratus or Rackspace have code that is testing
this stuff, please let's get it into the open. If they don't, then
consider working with Daryl and the folks on the Tempest team to get it
added.

It's a little disturbing to hear that Zodiac is being enhanced at
Rackspace instead of improving Tempest along with the rest of the
community. I urge a stop to this... let's work on the same thing please
-- that was the whole point of Tempest.

> As a whole I'm more confident than I was yesterday that we can get this done by Folsom. I'm going to create a channel on irc called #nova-xml. Please join if you can help contribute and we will organize and come up with a plan for getting this XML support verified and fixed.

And for my part, I can commit to doing the requisite code reviews in
Tempest and Nova to make this a reality.

Best,
-jay