[openstack-dev] Transaction across the OpenStack projects

Gabe Westmaas gabe.westmaas at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Aug 10 20:25:38 UTC 2012

On 8/10/12 3:17 PM, "Nachi Ueno" <nachi at nttmcl.com> wrote:

>Hi Gabe,folks
>
>We have discussed in request and transaction IDs across all projects
>https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg13082.html
>
>We would like to add to get Transaction ID for each project.
>
>At first, we proposed to make request_id configurable from outside.
>https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11018/
>
>However I got comment from Vish.
>"So we discussed having an Id that existed across projects, like
>TRANSACTION-ID, which makes sense, and it should probably be put in
>keystone somehow, but I don't like exposing the ability to set the
>request id to the user."
>
>It is make sense, because originally request_id is not designed to be
>configurable.
>If it is configurable, we should manage request_id's and check it.
>
>So we need to agree the spec of TRANSACTION-ID.
>
>How about this spec?
>
>If the HTTP header X-OS-TRANSACTION-ID (uuid) is set, each openstack
>components set the value in there internal transactions.
>X-OS-TRANSACTION-ID is returned by client side.

Maybe just do X-OpenStack-Transaction-ID.

>TransactionManager daemon ( This could be keystone ) handles the each
>transaction,
>and the each openstack components reports wether request is succeed or
>not.

I think we can just have any HTTP service check to see if the value is
set, if it is, use that as you say.  If its not just set it at that point.
 I wouldn't tie it to keystone in particular, as the request order is:
1) client > keystone
2) client > http service 1
3-N) http service 1 > http service X

And thus the client would be responsible for carrying that transaction ID
forward from keystone.  If you just leave it generic, then the client can
provide a custom transaction ID, or we just rely on the first inbound
service to set the value.

Finally there's some work to be done to get it logged in the various
services, though that can probably be done in later commits.

Other than that I like it!  Sorry I never got around to writing anything
up.

Gabe