[openstack-dev] Transaction across the OpenStack projects

Nachi Ueno nachi at nttmcl.com
Fri Aug 10 19:17:12 UTC 2012

Hi Gabe,folks

We have discussed in request and transaction IDs across all projects
https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg13082.html

We would like to add to get Transaction ID for each project.

At first, we proposed to make request_id configurable from outside.
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/11018/

However I got comment from Vish.
"So we discussed having an Id that existed across projects, like
TRANSACTION-ID, which makes sense, and it should probably be put in
keystone somehow, but I don't like exposing the ability to set the
request id to the user."

It is make sense, because originally request_id is not designed to be
configurable.
If it is configurable, we should manage request_id's and check it.

So we need to agree the spec of TRANSACTION-ID.

How about this spec?

If the HTTP header X-OS-TRANSACTION-ID (uuid) is set, each openstack
components set the value in there internal transactions.
X-OS-TRANSACTION-ID is returned by client side.

TransactionManager daemon ( This could be keystone ) handles the each
transaction,
and the each openstack components reports wether request is succeed or not.

Any thought?
Nachi NTT MCL