[openstack-dev] [nova] Call for Help -- OpenStack API XML Support

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 17:37:38 UTC 2012

On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:47 AM, George Reese <george.reese at imaginary.com> wrote:

> Subtitle: Why George Is So Grumpy with the OpenStack Community These Days
> <snip>

Hey George,

Thank you for your detailed explanation of your motivation and opinions. It saddens me that you feel like you won't be heard unless you start yelling. Personally, I respond much better to a well reasoned argument, and I think most of the people who touch the code on a daily basis feel similarly.

Trying to force development in Nova is incredibly difficult. There are a lot of actors involved and they each have their own management chain and priorities. I have personally been spending the last few weeks contributing directly to improving compatibility with the api spec, as I think it is very important for the code to be in line with people's expectations.

The entire purpose of my original message was to ask for help with OpenStack XML (Note the original title is still there).  I admit that my personal preference is to burn it in a fire, I wasn't involved in deciding to support it in the first place, but I think it is quite clear from this thread that XML support is important to quite a few people. I am also convinced that deprecating it in the current version of the api is not an option.

I think my initial request still stands. We need help validating and improving XML support in Nova. It sounds like there are private tests being run, which gives me hope that at least the core spec is working. We need to get those tests out into the public, and we need specific bugs logged against XML issues. We have already recieved offers to help from two or three companies involved with openstack. Hopefully the other ones follow suit.

As a whole I'm more confident than I was yesterday that we can get this done by Folsom. I'm going to create a channel on irc called #nova-xml. Please join if you can help contribute and we will organize and come up with a plan for getting this XML support verified and fixed.

Vish