[openstack-dev] [Openstack] [nova] Call for Help -- OpenStack API XML Support

Paul McMillan Paul.McMillan at Nebula.com
Fri Aug 10 16:19:20 UTC 2012

On 08/10/2012 07:57 AM, Kevin L. Mitchell wrote:
> Unfortunately, it's not at all that simple.  The XML spec and JSON spec
> are not precisely identical matches in all respects,

Which is why doing this would require an absolute and deliberate change
to the XML spec.

> This is one of the reasons I favor dropping XML from the next spec
> (v3?).

Right. If it has to remain (for whatever reason), and we don't have a
focused set of core contributors who are specifically interested in
maintaining a good XML API, we should move to a direct translation of
the JSON.

> Also, don't forget that we have to
> deal with the deserialization side as well; our current deserialization
> method is hand-coded XML tree walkers that convert string values to
> their expected representation.

THIS is why we need to drop the XML API.

-Paul