[openstack-dev] [Openstack] [nova] Call for Help -- OpenStack API XML Support

Paul McMillan Paul.McMillan at Nebula.com
Fri Aug 10 13:28:03 UTC 2012

On 08/10/2012 06:14 AM, Gabe Westmaas wrote:
> The biggest problem with this is that either json or XML ends up
> feeling second class.

This.

> We can decide to just pick a translation and go with it, of course.
> Although perhaps we need an expert on enterprise tools to make sure
> that the XML we generate properly translates into sane objects in
> those enterprise tools.

This is the fundamental issue. If the XML we're generating isn't
natively useful in this way, we're wasting our time. I'm concerned that
a simple translation layer will produce "JSONy" XML that's extremely
painful to work with.

Unfortunately, I don't think things are quite unified enough under the
hood that we could expose a more fundamental object-based view to
whatever tool generates our XML API.

-Paul