[openstack-dev] stable-maint team updates

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 13:42:54 UTC 2012

Hey,

While I was away yesterday, there was some confusion on IRC about the
stable-maint team so I thought I'd recap a few things here.

The team is responsible for approving changes to the currently
maintained stable branch of projects which were core in that release -
i.e. currently stable/essex of keystone, glance, nova, horizon. Swift
follows a different release model.

When reviewing changes, stable-maint folks concentrate on (a) how
serious the bug is, (b) how risky the fix is and (c) whether the fix is
already on master. The goal is for the stable branch to have a steady
flow of safe fixes for high-impact bugs.

The current team members are me, Dave Walker, Chuck Short and the PTLs
(Vish, Brian Waldon, Joe Heck and Devin Carlen).

While I was at it, I took a look at who else was doing reviews of stable
branch patches[1] and I'm going to go ahead and add Ionut Artarisi, Alan
Pevec, Pádraig Brady, Ghe Rivero and Eoghan Glynn. Many thanks to them
for joining!

I've updated the wiki page to be more clear about how folks can get
involved if they would like to join the team:

  http://wiki.openstack.org/StableBranch#Joining_the_Team

  We're really keen to add more folks to the stable-maint team to help
  out with reviews.

  All you really need is some time and the ability to apply the "safe
  source of high impact fixes" and "must be fixed on master first"
  policies. It mostly comes down to having a good sense of the risk vs
  benefit of applying a backport to the branch.

  If you'd like to join the team, you can start by simply [+-]1ing
  stable branch reviews. It's best if you can add some brief thoughts to
  your review on why you think the fix is suitable for stable so that we
  know how you're applying the policy.

  After doing reviews over a few weeks, email the team and ask to be
  added.

Cheers,
Mark.

[1] - if you're interested, here's how the new team members have been
helping out:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/branch:stable/essex+AND+%28reviewer:mapleoin+OR+owner:mapleoin%29,n,z
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/branch:stable/essex+AND+%28reviewer:apevec+OR+owner:apevec%29,n,z
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/branch:stable/essex+AND+%28reviewer:p-draigbrady+OR+owner:p-draigbrady%29,n,z