[openstack-dev] openstack-common library release [was Re: [Netstack] Request for comments on a pep8 problem]

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Aug 7 08:32:39 UTC 2012

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>> OTOH, it would be even better if we came up with names that didn't
>> include "openstack" in the distro or package name. That would help
>> avoid the Zope-branding issue that keeps other projects from adopting
>> a lot of the useful components that came out of the Zope project just
>> because they are apparently tied to Zope. Of course, naming is one of
>> the hard problems in compsci. :-)
>
> I suspect a lot or stuff will be only used by OpenStack project, but
> it's a fair point that there's no reason to necessarily exclude the
> possibility.

I've been considering this when looking at future options for rootwrap:
should it be in openstack-common, or standalone ? Then I realized that I
actually wanted some very-OpenStack-specific stuff to belong in there,
like a Dnsmasq filter that allows two very specific environment
variables set. So I saw as a benefit the fact that it was clearly linked
to OpenStack, so that we are not limited to generic reusable functions
but can also address openstack-specific needs without feeling bad about it.

Agree that some clever naming can slightly separate the lib collection
from openstack without disconnecting it from openstack.

> Naming ... How about Oslo? Short, begins with "OS" and "lo" has a vague
> connotations of "base" or "foundation".
>
>   pip install oslo
>
>   from oslo.config import cfg
>   from oslo.messaging import rpc

Oslo sounds good to me... Only software namespace collision is with some
proprietary optics design software apparently. It's available on LP too.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack