[openstack-dev] openstack-common library release [was Re: [Netstack] Request for comments on a pep8 problem]

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 06:50:52 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-08-03 at 13:45 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> I was thinking a single namespace package "openstack" with
> single-level nested packages such as openstack.config,
> openstack.messaging (to include rpc and notifications),
> openstack.server (service and manager-related stuff, maybe also the
> wsgi stuff). The "common" feels a little redundant.

I wasn't convinced the first time you suggested it, but I'm warming to
the idea :)

When an API like cfg, rpc or server is ready to come out of incubation
we just move it from openstack.common to openstack.config or whatever.
We'd also move it into a separate git repo.

> OTOH, it would be even better if we came up with names that didn't
> include "openstack" in the distro or package name. That would help
> avoid the Zope-branding issue that keeps other projects from adopting
> a lot of the useful components that came out of the Zope project just
> because they are apparently tied to Zope. Of course, naming is one of
> the hard problems in compsci. :-)

I suspect a lot or stuff will be only used by OpenStack project, but
it's a fair point that there's no reason to necessarily exclude the
possibility.

Naming ... How about Oslo? Short, begins with "OS" and "lo" has a vague
connotations of "base" or "foundation".

  pip install oslo

  from oslo.config import cfg
  from oslo.messaging import rpc