[openstack-dev] [nova] [quantum] [cinder] Deprecating usage of root_helper="sudo"

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Aug 2 12:17:48 UTC 2012

Thomas, Duncan wrote:
> The nice thing about switching back to "root_wrapper=sudo" is it allows me to hack code quickly, then get the details right later. If we are forcing the use of root_helper, then can we have some sort of permissive mode that I can turn on while I'm developing? I don't mind it coming with big, scary warnings, but having to figure out what commands I need in advance, or keep tweaking rules is a barrier to explorative coding...

That's a good suggestion. I can definitely add a configuration option in
the rootwrap.conf that basically says "allow anything".

I'm adding that to the list of things I need to push before dropping
support for root_helper in Grizzly. I'll try to push it in Folsom but
I'm pretty busy with aligning versions between Nova, Quantum and Cinder
before F3 so it might just not make it in time... anyway root_helper is
still supported in Folsom.

Thanks!

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)