[openstack-announce] Swift 2.2.1 released

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Fri Dec 19 16:21:36 UTC 2014

I'm happy to announce the release of Swift 2.2.1. The work of 28 contributors (including 8 first-time contributors), this release is definitely operator-centric. I recommend that you upgrade; as always you can upgrade to this release with no customer downtime.

Get the release: https://launchpad.net/swift/kilo/2.2.1
Full change log: https://github.com/openstack/swift/blob/master/CHANGELOG

Below I've highlighted a few of the more significant updates in this release.

* Swift now rejects object names with unicode surrogates. These unicode code points are not able to be encoded as UTF-8, so they are now formally rejected.

* Storage node error limits now survive a ring reload. Each Swift proxy server tracks errors when talking to a storage node. If a storage node sends too many errors, no further requests are sent to that node for a time. However, previously this error tracking was cleared with a ring reload, and a ring reload could happen frequently if some servers were being gradually added to the cluster. Now, the error tracking is not lost on ring reload, and error tracking is aggregated across storage polices. Basically, this means that the proxy server has a more accurate view of the health of the cluster and your cluster will be less stressed when you have failures and capacity adjustments at the same time.

* Clean up empty account and container partitions directories if they are empty. This keeps the system healthy and prevents a large number of empty directories from (significantly) slowing down the replication process.

* Swift now includes a full translation for Simplified Chinese (zh_CN locale).

I'd like to thank all of the Swift contributors for helping with this release. I'd especially like to thank the first-time contributors listed below:

Cedric Dos Santos
Martin Geisler
Filippo Giunchedi
Gregory Haynes
Daisuke Morita
Hisashi Osanai
Shilla Saebi
Pearl Yajing Tan

Thank you, and have a happy holiday season.

John