[legal-discuss] Seeking approval for inclusion of Scapy in global-requirements

Nate Johnston nate.johnston at redhat.com
Mon Jul 22 18:39:03 UTC 2019

OpenStack legal-discuss,

Hello, my name is Nate Johnston and I work primarily on OpenStack neutron.  I am
currently working on a new feature to permit or restrict traffic based on
ethertype.  This is a change that has security implications, because it allows
us to restrict certain types of network traffic that we have ignored until now -
specifically ethertypes other than IPv4, IPv6 and ARP within an L2 broadcast
domain.

In order to properly test this functionality I needed to create packets with
custom ethertypes and test their arrival or non-arrival.  The best tool for this
is the 'scapy' library, which is licensed GPL v2.  This would be a testing-only
usage, and would not be used at runtime, so per the Licensing Requirements page
I am seeking approval from you.

The requirements change where I have requested this is [1]; the homepage for the
Scapy project is [2].

Thanks,

Nate Johnston

[1] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/671776/