[legal-discuss] Adding license header to autogenerated content

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Sep 27 17:12:40 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-27 11:29:26 -0400 (-0400), Steve Martinelli wrote:
> I recently came across a patch [1] that is trying to add the Apache license
> to an autogenerated file.
[...]
> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/377170/1
[...]

If there is a license to that file, then it's almost certainly a BSD
license (derived from Sphinx's quickstart.py):

    https://github.com/sphinx-doc/sphinx/blob/master/sphinx/quickstart.py

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm not keen on adding licenses to
autogenerated (e.g. non-source) files where the original authors of
the generator didn't design it to emit a license in its output to
begin with. I would argue that the copy in our cookiecutter repo, as
a derivative of the sphinx-quickstart output, should probably never
have started out with an Apache license header in the first place (I
wonder whether it was added to satisfy "Python scripts without a
declared license" checks in one of our static analyzers?).
--
Jeremy Stanley