[legal-discuss] docs licenses: current state and desired state

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Tue Mar 24 21:34:13 UTC 2015

Hi all,
As promised I investigated the current state of our community guides
license indicators and added to the wiki page at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/ContentSpecs

Current states:
OpenStack Architecture Design Guide: Apache 2.0 and CC-by-sa 3.0
OpenStack Cloud Administrator Guide: Apache 2.0 and CC-by-sa 3.0

OpenStack Install Guides (all): Apache 2.0
OpenStack High Availability Guide: Apache 2.0
OpenStack Configuration Reference: Apache 2.0

OpenStack Security Guide: CC-by 3.0
Virtual Machine Image Guide: CC-by 3.0
OpenStack Operations Guide: CC-by 3.0
OpenStack End User Guide: CC-by 3.0
OpenStack Admin User Guide: CC-by 3.0
Command-Line Interface Reference: CC-by 3.0

Contributor dev docs (docs.openstack.org/developer/<projectname>): none
indicated in output; Apache 2.0 in repo
OpenStack API Quick Start: none indicated in output; Apache 2.0 in repo
API Complete Reference: none indicated in output; Apache 2.0 in repo

Infrastructure User Manual: none indicated in output; CC-by 3.0 in repo

Desired state:
CC-by 3.0 indicated in the output for all guides.
Apache 2.0 also indicated in the output for guides containing code and
content.

Tasks:
Change first five listed guides to CC-by 3.0 in source and output.
Change API Quick Start to RST so that cc-by 3.0 can be easily indicated.

Questions:

On guides where the output doesn't indicate a license but the source does;
is that sufficient?

Thanks for the help -- I can take the tasks on myself, but would like
guidance on whether a license indicator on output is required.

Thanks,
Anne
--
Anne Gentle