[legal-discuss] [OpenStack-docs] Licensing of documentation

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Fri Mar 20 16:34:32 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Anne Gentle" <annegentle at gmail.com>
> To: "Steve Gordon" <sgordon at redhat.com>
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Steve Gordon < sgordon at redhat.com > wrote:

Per Richard I'm not sure it's *necessary* but I don't believe it's a problem either. Perhaps though if doing this it would be good to make it clear in the boilerplate what is licensed as CC-BY (the prose) and what is licensed as ASL (code samples) and use that across the board? Ideally what I would like to get away from is having inconsistent licensing headers across the docs suite leading to the question "is this intentional/reliable".

> I checked on the CC-By ability of the clouddocs-maven-plugin and it can do
> CC-by, but only 3.0 currently. Bug logged:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1433868

My recollection is we were always after 3.0 so while future proofing the toolchain is good I think this is OK for now :).

> How about this: I'll take a stab at the desired state for each guide. Then
> for each guide we can say what has to be done to get to desired state.

That would be great, I think this would be very helpful for framing where we go next.

> I'll use https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/ContentSpecs as a
> starting point. I won't write up a blueprint or spec yet since this is
> "just" bug fixing for now, as long as we get agreement on each guide's
> license.

> The only place where I still need legal guidance is whether I need an
> audit-able trail for the license assignment, does anyone know? For example,
> if I change the Ops Guide to CC-by, do I have to get agreement from all the
> contributors to the Ops Guide?

I'm also not sure on this, like Nick I think everyone who was involved in the Arch Design Guide, by co-incidence, had signed the CLA (we should verify this though) and this should alleviate this concern but I am unclear on whether the same holds for the Ops and Security guides.

Thanks,

Steve