[legal-discuss] [Horizon] Licensing issue with using JSHint in build

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Wed Sep 10 18:32:07 UTC 2014

On 2014-09-10 11:14:26 -0700 (-0700), Monty Taylor wrote:
[...]
> However, I am not a lawyer, and reasonable people disagree with my
> views.

I mostly agree with your views (which probably makes me
unreasonable). My bigger concern is that we are unlikely to
convince, say, Debian to reconsider their position on the
non-freeness of the license nor on their desire to be able to
rebuild OpenStack components they distribute, so in effect requiring
JSHint for generating or running parts of Horizon effectively means
we are sending the signal we no longer want Debian to carry Horizon.

In this case, though, I think the subject line/problem description
is misleading. Digging deeper into the current state of Horizon it
appears that JSHint is only a recommended tool for developers and
one we also call in automated code style checks[1]. As long as it's
not actually required to reproduce a usable version of Horizon from
source and run it then I don't think there's likely to be any actual
problem.

[1] ...at least 'git grep -il jshint' only returns
doc/source/ref/run_tests.rst, run_tests.sh and tox.ini
--
Jeremy Stanley