[legal-discuss] OpenStack and its CLA [was Re: Copyright statements in source]

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri May 23 17:52:39 UTC 2014

On 05/13/2014 02:28 PM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Along the lines of what I laid out in below email from January, Richard
> and I completed a first draft of such a document last Friday:
>
>   https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/OpenStackAndItsCLA

One thing still not clear to me is how legal risks change when an
individual signs the Individual CLA but the corporation the person is
working for doesn't sign the corresponding Corporate CLA.

As you may know, we automatically enforce that any committer signs the
Individual CLA but at the moment we have no way to automatically enforce
a Corporate CLA on top of that. The Corporate CLA is now completed based
on 'best effort': the Foundation makes sure that any company approaching
us personally is informed about the Corporate CLA, we have it documented
and all.

What is the current legal risk for iCLA signed without a CCLA (when it
should be signed) and how would this situation "iCLA without CCLA" would
change with DCO?

/stef