[legal-discuss] OpenStack and its CLA [was Re: Copyright statements in source]

Julie Pichon jpichon at redhat.com
Fri May 23 13:47:15 UTC 2014

On 23/05/14 14:11, Anne Gentle wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 11:12 PM, Radcliffe, Mark <
> Mark.Radcliffe at dlapiper.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree with Richard's summary and will provide  some additional
>> information. My understanding during the drafting of the bylaws was that
>> the ICLA and CCLA  (which are based on standard Apache documents) had been
>> used from the beginning of the project and had become part of the project's
>> culture. Moreover the form of ICLA and CCLA were sufficiently important to
>> the community that the form of CLAs were "locked" into the bylaws by making
>> them exhibits (with some flexibility granted to the Board) and were
>> included among the limited number of sections whose amendment requires a
>> vote of the Board, the Individual Members, the Gold Members and the
>> Platinum Members.
>>
>> We have discussed this issue twice at the Legal Affairs Committee,
>> particularly in the context of so called "trivial contributions".  Each
>> time we considered the history of the project, the commitments of the
>> existing participants under the CLAs,  our perception of the modest
>> "friction" caused by the requirement to click the CLA  and the expectations
>> of existing members about future participants providing rights under the
>> CLA. Both times we concluded that change was not appropriate. The Legal
>> Affairs Committee is ready to work with the community to assist the Board
>> to understand the issues in adopting the DCO procedure for some or all
>> contributions. The ultimate decision belongs to the Board.
>>
>> We should also ensure that we note that the  issue of "friction" caused by
>> CLAs may have been misplaced because of confusion about the link between
>> contributors and Individual Members. Until recently the Technical Committee
>> was requiring all individual contributors to become an Individual Members.
>> As I noted in response to that question about a month ago, this condition
>> was a misunderstanding of the bylaws. The bylaws only require that a
>> contributor join if he wants to qualify to vote for the Technical
>> Committee. Anyone can make a contribution if they have signed the CLA.
>>

> Ah, this aspect is good to uncover, especially for documentation. Does the
> infra team have a task to decouple the "join the Foundation" steps and
> identity from the git review required setup steps?
>
> Anne

FYI, I filed a bug about this [1] when we had the previous conversation.
The last comment on the bug suggests that because the requirement was
added at the Foundation's request, some additional discussion is likely
to be required first.

Thanks,

Julie

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-ci/+bug/1311665