[legal-discuss] [openstack-dev] [Marconi] Why is marconi a queue implementation vs a provisioning API?

Radcliffe, Mark Mark.Radcliffe at dlapiper.com
Thu Mar 20 05:30:59 UTC 2014

The problem with AGPL is that the scope is very uncertain and the determination of the  consequences are very fact intensive. I was the chair of the User Committee in developing the GPLv3 and I am therefor quite familiar with the legal issues.  The incorporation of AGPLv3 code Into OpenStack Project  is a significant decision and should not be made without input from the Foundation. At a minimum, the inclusion of APLv3 code means that the OpenStack Project is no longer solely an Apache v2 licensed project because AGPLv3 code cannot be licensed under Apache v. 2 License.  Moreover, the inclusion of such code is inconsistent with the current CLA provisions.

This code can be included but it is an important decision that should be made carefully.