[legal-discuss] Trivial contributions and CLAs

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Wed Apr 23 01:54:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 09:19:44PM -0400, Marc Ehrlich wrote:
> Most importantly it is the patent IP I think we should be worried about.  What
> if that line or two of code trivially contributed completes the steps of a
> patent claim held by the contributer's company that then makes open stack users
> infringers of that code?

No one's argued (as far as I am aware) that contributions should enter
an OpenStack project under no legal terms; the issue has really been
whether those terms should be the CLA (or more than one CLA), or the
Apache License (or, I wondered for a while, both), and how much
formality or ceremoniality is needed for any of those things to
happen.

>  Even a trivial contribution
>  in terms of size or function can render a body of code infringing.  I think
> that one of the great benefits of the  CLA is that it addresses that scenario.

As does the Apache License. Therefore:

>  So in my view we need to think long and hard about letting companies take a
> pass on what everyone else has agreed to lest we find ourselves facing patent
>  claims based on trivial additions.

It isn't about allowing anyone to "take a pass". Rather it's whether
the license is the CLA or the Apache License.

> Sorry if I am missing something that covers us for patents

The Apache License, which I've been hearing people praise for years as
a superior permissive open source license because it contains a patent
license grant.

 - RF