[legal-discuss] Licensing of documentation

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Wed Dec 11 17:59:51 UTC 2013

Thanks for the clarification Anne.

At the moment I do have one question: I actually only see the
Apache/CC BY-SA notice on one manual,
http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/index.html

Is the Apache License 2.0 notice here something that should be ignored
for purposes of understanding how that manual is licensed? I'm asking
about this one because we are planning on producing one item of
documentation that will adapt some material from this particular
manual. Our usual product documentation license is itself actually CC
BY-SA 3.0. It's not a huge issue one way or the other of course.

(FWIW our original thought was to use CC BY for our downstream
documentation to harmonize it with the upstream documentation; at the
time our docs writers were, I think, assuming that the CC BY licensing
of OpenStack documentation would be effective by the time we'd be
publishing our downstream documentation.)

Thanks,
- Richard