[legal-discuss] NOTICE files

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Apr 29 09:08:19 UTC 2013

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-04-28 at 11:04 -0400, Monty Taylor wrote:
>> [...]
>> Totally feasible to do, if it's something that people want.
>
> I think - no matter how much we can clean it up - there's very little
> value in requiring those shipping OpenStack to include an attribution
> notice which credits every single copyright holder. Requiring an
> attribution to the OpenStack project is probably annoying enough, but
> attributing hundreds of copyright holders would be pretty ridiculous.

Yeah.... just because we can do NOTICE files doesn't mean we should. I
take from Richard's advice that it's not necessary for us and provides
no additional value, so I'd prefer to continue ignoring them like I
always did. And use the time we'd collectively spend on automating the
creation of them (no matter how small) onto something more useful :)

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack