[Interop-wg] FYI: 2016 EANTC NFV Interoperability Test Report

Thu Dec 8 14:33:35 UTC 2016

Folks,

Thought this might be of some interest to folks on this mailer if you hadn’t seen it already (we’ve discussed a previous iteration of this in the past too):

http://www.lightreading.com/nfv/nfv-tests-and-trials/2016-nia-eantc-nfv-interoperability-test-report/d/d-id/728802

A few excerpts:

"It is great news that most VNF/NFVi test combinations passed our tests in the December 2016 campaign...11 successful test combinations. Three combinations failed because of ex-ante incompatibilities between OpenStack versions. “

"Many of the findings described in this section are related to OpenStack -- kind of obvious as all participating vendors based their NFVi implementations on OpenStack. This is a great opportunity to align the industry’s nomenclature (all parties understand the term "heat template," for example) and to avoid reinventing the wheel (vendors equally benefit from OpenStack evolution).

At the same time, it is a burden -- different implementations are based on OpenStack but are not identical. Executive management and marketing may overlook this fact -- but it is very important in practice. We had to adapt our automation framework for each single test combination. Vendors supplemented the OpenStack releases used in our test bed (Juno, Kilo and Liberty) more or less extensively, resulting in interoperability problems."

There’s some further detail about issues and incompatibilities later in the article.

At Your Service,

Mark T. Voelker