[Fits] RefStack as a reference OpenStack environment?

Joshua McKenty joshua at pistoncloud.com
Mon Apr 14 16:44:16 UTC 2014

Perhaps I can clarify a bit:

When we proposed RefStack at the OpenStack board meeting in 2013, we divided the effort into several parts:

 - A test-based mechanism for improving interop of OpenStack clouds (this is part of the DefCore effort and the current RefStack codebase)
 - A publishing mechanism so that the user/operator community would have visibility into this capability matrix (also a target for the refstack.org website)
 - A *running* reference openstack environment (with a documented method of installation and configuration) that the tools ecosystem could test their software against.

The 3rd item is what you’re discussing; it ended up being (if that’s possible) even more politically complicated than the first two, simply because there’s no consensus within OpenStack as to whether or not the OpenStack framework should include an installer.

The closest thing to this right now is TryStack (at least conceptually) - it’s likely that we’ll make it a deliverable of the DefCore committee in a future cycle, however.

--

Joshua McKenty
Chief Technology Officer

"Oh, Westley, we'll never survive!"
"Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has."