[Enterprise] EWG Workload Reference Architecture - Git Repo

Sun, Yih Leong yih.leong.sun at intel.com
Fri Dec 2 05:44:24 UTC 2016

In the last Enterprise WG meeting, I proposed to move the development of workload reference architecture into OpenStack github and review system/process.
Most agreed and support this approach. I just want to bring this up to this maillist in case of anyone who missed the last meeting.

As most are aware, in the previous Newton cycle, we have published two Workload Reference Architecture (Web Application & Big Data) which are now available at https://www.openstack.org/software/sample-configs. (eCommerce is in the final stage of publication).

With this, we can:

1.       Create a more scalable process for on-going enhancement/development/creation of existing or new workload reference architecture (e.g. container, media transcoding, enterprise database, PaaS, etc).

2.       Reach out to wider community and encourage more people to contribute.

3.       Mitigate EWG resources bottleneck on developing workload reference architecture.

4.       Allow parallel development of multiple reference architectures at any release cycle.

5.       Embrace OpenStack 4 Open principles.

To achieve this, few things needs to be done:

1.       Create a github repo to host EWG Workload Reference Architecture. (I have submitted the github request)

2.       Develop a common template or format for the content writing. (pending)

3.       Decide a directory structure for hosting each individual workload reference architecture (documents, diagram, sample code such as heat or murano), potentially with multiple "version" or "release". (pending)

4.       Form initial team of core-reviewer for this repo to validate/approve content. (pending)

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks!

Regards,
---
Yih Leong Sun, PhD
Senior Software Cloud Architect | Open Source Technology Center | Intel Corporation
yih.leong.sun at intel.com<mailto:yih.leong.sun at intel.com> | +1 503 264 0610