[Win The Enterprise-wg] Fwd: Stable Branch Maintenance

Li Ma skywalker.nick at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 08:33:39 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Steve Gordon <sgordon at redhat.com> wrote:
> [...]

That makes sense. Thanks for explaining it. Maybe LTS is too much for
development community.

> Somewhat related to the above, while this is simple on paper for it to have any chance of success it requires buy in from the developer community both to convince a critical mass to support implementing such a rule and to build the stable branch review teams to cope with the increased submissions (otherwise the problem just moved down the chain because instead of not being proposed to stable the changes will be proposed to stable and languish in the review queue). How do you propose incentivising the adding of this rule, answering of the question honestly (as above for many the answer to the question is going to always be no, because for them a backport is not necessary as they don't use stable branches), and reviewing of stable branch changes.
>
> The alternative as Steffano suggests is for organizations interested in this to assign resources to (a) monitoring patch submissions for potential backports to propose (b) reviewing such proposals with a view to ultimately expanding the membership of stable-maint-core. As I noted above, for your proposal to be successful the second part of this pertaining to more stable branch reviewers is required regardless.

I cannot agree with you more. Actually stable branch maintenance is
also the value-added part for those distributions. However, as
OpenStack and its huge community attracts much attention from
enterprise IT and it also does maintain one or more stable releases, I
think stable-release should be as stable as possible, not
nearly-stable-release nor bug-exposed-but-never-fixed-release. This
vague policy may affect the confidence for those traditional IT to try
to adopt OpenStack.

Besides the reviewer team, I think backport submitters are also important.

--
Li Ma (Nick)
Email: skywalker.nick at gmail.com