[Win The Enterprise-wg] OpenStack from business perspective

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Sat Mar 7 19:36:01 UTC 2015

We should not underestimate the difficulties... we had a recent case at CERN where

-        Vendor A certified their enterprise backup software for servers on an enterprise vendor X.Y

-        Version X.Y+1 came out and Vendor A said they will not certify. Maybe X.Y+2 if lots of requests but no guarantees

-        Version X.Y+2 comes out. Vendor X says that version X.Y is no longer supported as it is too old.

Promoting CI/CD for internal developments needs to also understand that the external world does not yet work this way. Complaining to Vendor A has not yielded a change of approach. Migrating from Vendor A is a very high cost.

Thus, transforming the internal IT does not solve the problem if the vendors do not follow. The migration cost to other vendors is significant and therefore discourages the adoption of an alternative approach.

Tim