[Win The Enterprise-wg] noise level on working group mailing lists (was Re: Vote for sessions submitted by Enterprise Working Group)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Jul 30 17:19:55 UTC 2015

On 07/30/2015 07:38 AM, Steve Gordon wrote:
> Indeed, if you are going to give people a mechanism via which they
> can influence the outcome (or at least *potentially* influence the
> outcome) then they are going to endeavor to do so. I'm not a fan of
> the results either (people spamming both internal and external
> community lists for votes) but I think it's a bit rich to provide
> such a mechanism and then complain when people react to it exactly
> the way you would expect them to...

Let me be clear: I am raising a concern about the noise level on a
mailing list that is dedicated to a specific task (and on mailing lists
in general: I've raised this concern other times in other places.)

There are thousands of submitted talks, from thousands of individuals:
if even a small fraction of them start to promote their submissions on
mailing lists, we'll end up with clogged boxes and render useless the
mailing list as a communication channel dedicated to specific topics.

I have nothing against marketing and promoting submitted talks to the
summit: if you want to play that game, please do so ... I also see the
value in it (for the promotion of the summit itself, to establish a
celebration and a pattern in the community, etc). I never said it's
completely useless.

Just don't clog the mailing lists of more unnecessary and very off-topic
emails.

thanks,
stef