[Win The Enterprise-wg] Vote for sessions submitted by Enterprise Working Group

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 14:38:04 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Maish Saidel-Keesing" <maishsk at maishsk.com>
> To: "Stefano Maffulli" <stefano at openstack.org>, enterprise-wg at lists.openstack.org
>
> On 07/29/15 19:12, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> > On 07/29/2015 04:00 AM, Yih Leong, Sun. wrote:
> >> Anyone else from Enterprise Working Group submitted any session?
> > [...]
> >
> > I understand that the popularity contest known as 'public voting' is
> > very popular but let's not kid ourselves: the votes don't count that
> > much. The good track chairs don't really keep into considerations the
> > wisdom of the crowd because the crowd rarely has any wisdom (and this
> > statement can be empirically proven right :))
> >
> > That said, sending off-topic messages like this one to working groups
> > mailing lists decreases the signal/noise ratio of the list making people
> > wonder if it's worth to keep the subscription.
> Then I have to sincerely ask - what is the benefit of even having any
> kind of voting?

Indeed, if you are going to give people a mechanism via which they can influence the outcome (or at least *potentially* influence the outcome) then they are going to endeavor to do so. I'm not a fan of the results either (people spamming both internal and external community lists for votes) but I think it's a bit rich to provide such a mechanism and then complain when people react to it exactly the way you would expect them to...

-Steve

> If we are talking about a signal/noise ratio - I think that the voting
> only creates more noise.
>
> What is the added benefit then?
>
> /Maish putting on his beanie..
> >
> > /stef putting his hard-hat on
> >

> --
> Best Regards,
> Maish Saidel-Keesing

Steve Gordon, RHCE
Sr. Technical Product Manager,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform