[Win The Enterprise-wg] Stable Branch Maintenance

Goodwin, Dustin dustin.goodwin at rbccm.com
Tue Feb 10 16:41:25 UTC 2015

It's a great issue to raise with this group. In enterprise IT today we tend to test things ruthlessly and then run them until:
1. We absolutely can't live with some feature we need in a new release
2. Someone in compliance runs a report and tells us which products no longer comply with N-1 policies
3. The vendor end support
4. Some giant industry event forces upgrade budgets to pop into existence (e.g. y2k)

Of course we wish that wasn't the case and we could utilize CI/CD principles to keep our platforms current. But typically in core infrastructure we land it and apply critical patches for a good long time often ignoring 1 or more major releases.

- Dustin