[Win The Enterprise-wg] [OpenStack] [Win the Enterprise] EC2 API feedback

Anthony Hobbs ahobbs at mirantis.com
Mon Feb 2 19:11:43 UTC 2015

I think Mark and Das hit it on the head there. It's a checkbox for
managers, but due to the lack of feature parity, is not really used by the
engineers.

My background is in utilizing AWS (I just recently started with OpenStack),
but I would not want to use an AWS compatible API for OpenStack due to the
parity mismatch. I'd use some middle layer as Mark suggested. I have only
been at one company that actually had two fully functional clouds (AWS and
Cloud.com), and we used a 3rd party wrapper to control it (RightScale)
rather than use either clouds API's.

My "Vote" would to not prioritize AWS compatibility to allow us to focus on
other issues (like our HA or upgrade stories).

Anthony Hobbs
SRE Operations Architect

Anthony Hobbs
SRE Operations Architect