[Elections-committee] Table of voting systems comparisons

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Oct 11 17:27:56 UTC 2013

On 10/11/2013 01:24 PM, James E. Blair wrote:
> Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> writes:
>
>> Hey all!
>>
>> If you want to learn more about this from wikipedia, you should check out:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_systems#Compliance_of_selected_systems_.28table.29
>>
>> The TC/PTL elections use Schulze. STV would be IRV in this table.
>
> Browsing the lists of election system users on wikipedia, a couple of US
> tax-exempt orgs stand out:
>
> LOPSA: A 501(c)(3) using Meek's STV
> http://governance.lopsa.org/LOPSA_Bylaws#Election_of_Directors
>
> SPI: A 501(c)(3) using Schulze
> http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/2003/2003-01-06.wta.1/
>
> It seems unlikely that we would be breaking new ground as a non-profit
> with either of these.

I believe this is an excellent point and excellent precedent.
Considering that Delaware law allows us to explicitly define our voting
mechanism (which makes the Delaware portion itself moot) - I would think
that existing precedent of non-profit boards using Schultze should give
us the ground cover we need to be more confident on both stated concerns
around use of Schultze.

That that has been in effect for them since 2003 and should be AMPLE
time for issues to have arisen.