[Elections-committee] Oct 11 meeting

Todd Moore tmmoore at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 11 16:12:00 UTC 2013

It will depend on what Jonathan learns today.  Alan would need to call the
meeting.  I'll follow up.

Todd M. Moore

Director, Interoperability and Partnerships

11501 Burnet Rd. MS 9035H014
Austin, TX , 78758.  (512) 286-7643 (tie-line 363)
tmmoore at us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com>                                                                                                     |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Todd Moore/Austin/IBM at IBMUS,                                                                                                            |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |Simon Anderson <simon at dreamhost.com>, elections-committee at lists.openstack.org                                                           |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |10/11/2013 11:06 AM                                                                                                                     |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Re: [Elections-committee] Oct 11 meeting                                                                                                |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Are we counting on having a special meeting of the board to discuss this
next week?

If so, who's making sure it's going to get scheduled?

Mark.

On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 10:57 -0500, Todd Moore wrote:
> Thanks Simon.  Monty would you be able to work with Theiry on a Condorcet
> description?
>
> Todd M. Moore
>
> Director, Interoperability and Partnerships
>
> 11501 Burnet Rd. MS 9035H014
> Austin, TX , 78758.  (512) 286-7643 (tie-line 363)
> tmmoore at us.ibm.com
>

> |------------>
> | From:      |
> |------------>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

>   |Simon Anderson <simon at dreamhost.com>
|

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> |------------>
> | To:        |
> |------------>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

>   |elections-committee at lists.openstack.org,
|

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> |------------>
> | Date:      |
> |------------>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

>   |10/11/2013 10:42 AM
|

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> |------------>
> | Subject:   |
> |------------>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

>   |Re: [Elections-committee] Oct 11 meeting
|

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

> Thanks Todd and Mark for summarizing the conference call, and everyone on
> the committee for all the work put in to date to look at this important
> issue and come up with good proposals to put before the membership.
Having
> just joined the committee, I can see how much thought and work you've all
> put into this.
>
> I am definitely of the view that we should put a resolution to amend the
> bylaws, and thereby adopt a Single Transferable Vote (STV) voting system
> (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote) or Condorcet
> voting system (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method) for the
> think there is strong interest from the community to see this put forward
> for a vote, and I think we can move quickly but with clear communication
> and do that over the next 4-5 weeks.
>
> I am happy to put my hand up to volunteer to prepare and present the STV
> system to the Board. I'll need some input from other committee members
> along the way, but I can commit time to this over this weekend and into
> early next week. Personally, I think that there are good arguments for
> using each of STV or Condorcet, and through this debate we will be able
> balance these arguments and find the right option to present to members.
> Both are "order of preference" voting systems, which is overall what I
hear
> from the community is wanted.
>
> Thanks again, and I'll start working on the STV presentation today.
>

> Best,
> Simon Anderson
> CEO, DreamHost
>

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Todd Moore <tmmoore at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>   Thanks Mark.  Good summary.
>
>   It is worth adding that:
>
>   Jonathan will confer with counsel again around the two options
discussed
>   today.
>
>   There seemed to be sentiment that each system would need an accurate
>   description that could be referenced by a bylaws change.  I need two
>   volunteers to describe the system and pro's and con's for submission to
>   the board for debate.
>
>   We await further direction out of Jonathan's investigations.
>
>   Another committee discussion early next week is required, if we are to
>   use the Summit window as was suggested, to bring a revised system to
the
>   membership for a vote.  I proposed Wednesday at 1300 UTC again.  If
this
>   is acceptable email me please.
>

>   Todd M. Moore
>
>   Director, Interoperability and Partnerships
>
>   11501 Burnet Rd. MS 9035H014
>   Austin, TX , 78758.  (512) 286-7643 (tie-line 363)
>   tmmoore at us.ibm.com
>
>   Inactive hide details for Mark McLoughlin ---10/11/2013 09:41:11
AM---Hi