[Elections-committee] Vote timing (was Summarizing our latest thinking)

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Thu Oct 10 16:14:50 UTC 2013

> >  * There is debate over whether we could take a vote on a bylaws change
> >    in time for the next election cycle or whether it would have to be
> >    taken at the same time as the next round of elections.
> >
> >    My take is that doing it with this years elections could give a
> >    better chance of turnout and we're unlikely to get a vote ready with
> >    sufficient campaigning in advance of that anyway.

There was the idea of running this in time for the summit. We get a lot of attention at that point (and potentially newer membership too).

My reading of the bylaws is that the members who have joined during the past 180 days would not be allowed to vote in the individual elections. However, I believe that they would count towards the 25% requirement for a bylaws change. I am far from an expert in these areas so I would be happy for a clarification.

Tim